Sunday 11 June 2017

writing about christmas at war time

Christmas Truce

1914, December the 25th.
  
Today is Christmas Day, we are at war, it is a very cold Christmas morning. This is not what I thought I would be doing on this very day but that’s just life.Today a very strange thing happened .

Bright and early this morning, a man I know by the name of Jim started standing up out of the trenches. Everyone on the British side like me tried to stop him but it didn’t work. I could hear the German’s getting their guns at the ready. Then next thing you know he is fully standing up on No-Man’s Land and he called out what I believe is,
“I’m not armed! ”in German.
After that a person from the German side stood up and also put his hands up to show that he wasn’t armed.

Every soldier then started standing up on both sides, so I joined in. I wasn’t sure what was happening . The next thing you know men are shaking hands and getting to know each other's names. After that, there was a soccer game, it was nice to know that they were on the same page as us. I started to feel a sense of belonging.

This was when it hit me! We all heard bombs going off in the distance. I had to fight the men I had just made friends with...



No comments:

Post a Comment